Full-Stack Software Engineer
Details: Full-time contractor. Remote, on a distributed team.
Rally enables people to contribute, gain insight and value from their own data. The same few organizations collect and have controlled access to our data that they also benefit from. We aim to counter this power imbalance and work towards building independent insights about connected life.
Today, people can donate their data through browser extensions to public interest studies that explore big societal problems that start on the Internet. Rally’s first researchers are studying how misinformation flows, social media platform transparency, and local news sustainability, with more to come. See Current Studies.
In the future, the Rally team is exploring questions like:
- How might people get a share of the benefits that their data generates?
- How might Rally set a new bar for consent and transparency that becomes the industry standard for all companies?
- What would it take for Rally to build independent insights about connected life?
- How might Rally provide value across browsers and across devices?
- How might Rally influence broader technology policy?
Each Rally team member plays a key role in shaping what problems we are trying to address, what we build and why, designing and implementing well understood parts of the Rally as well as supporting its intentional growth by researching and prototyping new areas of exploration.
About the role
As a Full-Stack Software Engineer, you’ll bring breadth and depth to a growing team of similarly T-shaped engineers, reporting to the Head of Engineering. You’ll work closely and collaboratively with our distributed team representing Design and Research, Data Science, and Product. You’ll play a key role in shaping and building a product and platform early in its development by designing and implementing the well understood parts of the platform and supporting discovery through prototyping new areas of exploration.
This role will initially be a contract hire with conversion to full-time a possibility in the near future.
An ideal candidate is someone who is…
- Familiar with a front-end framework like Svelte or React
- Experienced with SQL-based databases and NoSQL document stores
- Adept with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Able to develop right-sized architectural and software designs
- Able to communicate effectively across disciplines
- Able to work iteratively, breaking down big problems into smaller ones
- Comfortable with ambiguity and the unknown
- Curious and eager to learn
- Expand the capabilities of the platform through work on the user interface, supporting services, and infrastructure for Rally’s experience
- Write well-documented code and associated tests
- Participate in code and software and architectural design reviews as reviewer and reviewee
- Generate prototypes for more speculative work
Being a contractor at Rally
See Careers to learn more about what it’s like to be a contractor at Rally.