Staff Product Designer
Details: Full-time contractor. Remote, on a distributed team.
Rally enables people to contribute, gain insight and value from their own data. The same few organizations collect and have controlled access to our data that they also benefit from. We aim to counter this power imbalance and work towards building independent insights about connected life.
Today, people can donate their data through browser extensions to public interest studies that explore big societal problems that start on the Internet. Rally’s first researchers are studying how misinformation flows, social media platform transparency, and local news sustainability, with more to come. See Current Studies.
In the future, the Rally team is exploring questions like:
- How might people get a share of the benefits that their data generates?
- How might Rally set a new bar for consent and transparency that becomes the industry standard for all companies?
- What would it take for Rally to build independent insights about connected life?
- How might Rally provide value across browsers and across devices?
- How might Rally influence broader technology policy?
Each Rally team member plays a key role in shaping what problems we are trying to address, what we build and why, designing and implementing well understood parts of the Rally as well as supporting its intentional growth by researching and prototyping new areas of exploration.
About the role
As Staff Product Designer, you’ll be a critical and senior team member. You’ll be owning, developing the foundations of, experimenting with and executing human centered design best practices that are most appropriate for Rally. You’ll own design initiatives end-to-end from prioritizing projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution. You’ll work with a cross-functional team to frame user needs and behaviour, define optimized user flows, and create thoughtful low and high fidelity designs that are grounded in sound research and validation. Reporting to and in partnership with Head of Product Design, you’ll be shaping the design roadmap and leading key design initiatives to clarify Rally’s product-market-fit and enable its intentional growth. Mozilla has wonderful content, research and design communities of practice — you will have access to this supportive network.
An ideal candidate is someone who is…
- Experienced in working on greenfield projects, prototyping and experimentation that drives clarity towards product-market-fit.
- Familiar with or has professional growth goals to work on products that are centered around data.
- Highly organized and able to operate independently.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and the unknown.
- Lead all aspects of product design, including partnering with cross-functional collaborators to frame problems and utilizing a variety of facilitation and design methodologies throughout the product development process to meet desired business outcomes.
- Partner with research and data science to understand user needs. Leverage qualitative and quantitative data to inform your design decisions. Look for opportunities to unify user experiences across browsers and devices.
- Be a trusted steward and communicator of modern and best practices in user experience, interaction design, systems thinking and visual design.
- In partnership with the Head of Product Design, set standards for design quality and cohesion across the product. Create new concepts, improve current experiences and iterate on the design system with those standards in mind.
Being a contractor at Rally
See Careers to learn more about what it’s like to be a contractor at Rally.